Now bear in mind that we stayed at a university during the summer and ate the cafeteria food, so it wasn't exactly Korea's finest....
Typical dinner:(clockwise) fired fish, mixed veggies with some kind of spicy sauce, rice, kimchi (Korean staple!!), the greens were either nettle leaf or another kind of spiky lettuce, and of course, soup.
At dinner/lunch/breakfast (the same type of food was served for each meal), we ALWAYS had rice, kimchi, another veggie, and soup. The main dish would rotate, but it usually included pork or beef.
group shot!
What is this??
Why, it's espresso in a can!
PS This is what got me through- people where we were staying typically only drink instant coffee with creamer and sugar premixed in the little packet. I couldn't do it!! haha The coffee snob in me is just too strong!
nutrition fact...in Korean!
ok so there were these super cool ice creams that came in tube packets! You just unscrew the top and it gets kind of slushy and then you roll it up from the bottom...delish!
All of us plus our new chingudul (친구)(English transltion: friends :) at this incredible buffet!
We helped the drama students with their English pronunciation in a play that they were putting on.
This is how we ate breakfast every morning......with chopsticks!
[side note: our group kinda wussed out on eating traditional Korean food every day, 3 times a day. So we went to E-Mart (imagine a Costco married to a Super Wal-mart) and bought American cereal....but we tried to redeem ourselves by using chopsticks :)
At Caffe Bene, this cute little coffee shop that served gelato and waffles. We went there to play cards at night and hang out, and eat American food that was sorely missed.
A vending machine! Or an arcade game? These would be on the street, just randomly, maybe near a bar or a restaurant, sometimes right outside of people's houses. We think the bottles in there are either full of gum or vitamins. We never figured it out!
My favorite thing I ate in Korea was definitely patbingsu, a traditional dessert made from shaved ice, condesened sweetened milk, topped with red bean, fruit, and mochi.
I found a recipe for it too! http://blog.torgodevil.com/archives/114
That's it folks!! I'm off to drink some much needed HOT coffee :)

Wow, sounds AMAZING, Em :) Love how you created such a snapshot of the trip-- I totally feel like I was *kinda* there :) I'm so glad you made it through ok and probably learned so much. I can only imagine how hard it would be to go to a foreign country without knowledge of what will happen.
ReplyDeleteHope to hear from you again soon on here ;)
oh WOW what a fun time!! I love all these pictures!! Makes me feel like im a part of it :) your dessert sounds GREAT! so refreshing!!
ReplyDeleteAH! That brings back nostalgic memories for me!! I hope you got to try their hotteok too...and I love their glutinous corn, and the tteokbokki! :D
ReplyDelete